Monday, May 11, 2009

A Piece of Texas History




During an ultra laid-back Sunday, my boyfriend and I decided to explore the old battlegrounds at the San Jacinto Museum and Park in La Porte, TX. Now mind you, not being from Texas and only just learning of the "Battleship," it was tricky to find, with all the offshore oil distribution companys nearby. Alas, we spotted the Texas State Monument, which led us to a huge park with families picnicing under the shadows of the great battleship. We decided to skip the battleship, which costs $10 to tour, so we instead scoured the old battlegrounds and spotted a few graveyards and took in the great view of the bay. It's free to picnic and walk the grounds, where you can take awesome pictures of the battleship.

I wore gym shoes as I knew we would be doing a LOT of walking, but I wasn't prepared for the mosquitos there that ate me alive! Also, wear lot's of sunscreen, especially if planning to walk on the battleship. My fair, Irish-skinned self should have worn a hat and sunglasses, so if you are sensitive to the sun as well, make sure to wear both.







It was interesting to see so much history in a public park. You could bring the family there for a lazy Sunday picnic, pets are also allowed. It's also a nice place to stop at on your way to Kemah, as it is only 20 min. away! Beautiful scenery along with a piece of Texas history, makes me feel proud to be a Texan!


http://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment