Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pleasing to the Eye....























The Menil Collection in Houston is the place to go when looking for an escape from the noise of the bustling city streets. Located on a campus known as the "Neighborhood of Art," this pristine building is surrounded by shady, tree-lined streets, giving it a homey appeal. The peacefulness of the neighborhood is reflected in by the tranquility of the museum. As I walked in, the noise was so minimal, you could hear a pin drop. Whispering to my niece "Use 4-inch voices only," I was afraid to even gasp at a sculpture that caught my eye, as the guards would peer around the corner to make sure we were on our best behavior. Even though all are welcome, the museum is not kid friendly. Some of the modern art exhibitions lean more towards the R-rated side, so beware when taking your little-littles. I had to cover my niece's eyes a few times so her parents wouldn't kill me!

















The paintings and sculptures in the museum are plentiful, making it almost hard to believe there is no entrance fee. You won't find Monet or Van Gogh in this collection. The art is somewhat provocative, but from different eras such as Ancient Greece B.C., 1920s Modern, as well as tribal remnants from Alaska. The museum itself is beautiful, with the Texas sunlight peaking in through the canvas sailcloth ceilings, the soft light gleaming on the paintings of the gallery walls and the whit-oak floors. A huge monarch butterfly bid me farewell as I exited the museum, welcoming me to the pleasant neighborhood atmosphere. The bookstore across the street was useful in finding information on my favorite artists in the collection! If you're in need for a little tranquility in your life, along with wanting to view fantastic art and sculptures from centuries past, The Menil Collection is the place to be! Plus, it's free!! Parking is also free and conveniently across the street from the gallery. http://www.menil.org/




No comments:

Post a Comment